Henry M. Holden is an aviation historian and author.
In 1994, Mr. Holden was cited in the United States Congressional Record for his work in recording the history of American women in aviation, and was the recipient of the Author’s Award from the New Jersey Institute of Technology for his book Her Mentor Was An Albatross – The Autobiography of Pioneer Pilot Harriet Quimby.
In 1996, he launched the Women in Aviation Resource Center, an online repository of educational, historical, and networking resources for women interested in all aspects of aviation. In 2010 Henry was awarded the New Jersey Aviation Hall of Fame Distinguished Service Award.
He is the author of over 900 magazine and newspaper articles appearing in national magazines such as Private Pilot, Plane & Pilot, Airport Journals, World Airnews, USAir, InFlight-USA, American Aviation Historical Society’s Journal, Women in Aviation, Woman Pilot, Airport Press and Aviation History, Vintage Airplane, Warbirds, Sport Aviation, and Upscale Living Magazine. He has been a commentator on the History Channel, and has published 37 books.
The original founder of the DC-3/Dakota Historical Society, Henry is a member of the Aviation Hall of Fame (New Jersey), Women in Aviation International, AOPA, and EAA.
Mr. Holden speaks at various events around the country and is available as a guest lecturer. His work has been the subject of a number of radio and cable television shows in New Jersey, Georgia, Oregon, and Washington State.
Henry Holden is currently the News Editor East for Airport Journals and is a regular monthly contributor to the paper.
Adult Nonfiction Books by Henry M. Holden (* indicates out of print)
- Teterboro Airport (2010)
- Morristown Airport (Dec. 2010)
- Newark Airport (2009)
- FBI – 100 Years: An Unofficial History (2008)
- To Be A Crime Scene Investigator (2006)
- To Be A U.S. Secret Service Agent (2006)
- To Be A FBI Special Agent (June 2005)
- To Be A U.S. Air Force Pilot (2004)
- Women in Aviation – Leaders and Role Models for the 21st Century (2001)
- Aerial Drug Wars – The Story of U.S. Customs Aviation (1999) *
- The Legacy of the DC-3 (1996) *
- Hovering – The History of the Whirly-Girls: International Women Helicopter Pilots (1994)
- Her Mentor Was An Albatross – The Autobiography of Pioneer Pilot Harriet Quimby (1993)
- Ladybirds II – The Continuing Story of American Women in Aviation (1993)
- Ladybirds – The Untold Story of Women Pilots in America (1991)
* Now available on the Amazon Kindle
- The Fabulous Ford Tri-Motors (1992) *
- The Boeing 247 – The First Modern Commercial Airplane (1991)
- The Douglas DC-3 (1991) *
Children’s (9-12) Nonfiction Books by Henry M. Holden
- Trailblazing Astronaut John Glenn (Space Series)
- Triumph Over Disaster Aboard Apollo 13 (Space Series)
- The Tragedy of the Space Shuttle Challenger (Space Series)
- Life and Working Aboard the International Space Station (Space Series)
- Pioneering Astronaut Sally Ride (Space Series)
- Persian Gulf War
- American Women of Flight
- Woodrow Wilson
- The American Alligator
- New Jersey (States Series)
- Wisconsin (States Series)
- Coast Guard Rescue and Patrol Aircraft
- The Supersonic X-15 and High-Tech Nasa Aircraft
- Rescue Helicopters and Aircraft
- Crime-Fighting Aircraft
- Fire-Fighting Aircraft and Smoke Jumpers
- Air Force Aircraft
- Navy Combat Aircraft and Pilots
- Black Hawk Helicopter